Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome.
Since time is precious in this fast paced city we curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles for every weekend that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend in L.A. (February 9-11) includes a Cupid’s Undie Run in Santa Monica, the San Gabriel Lunar Festival, a Broke Hearts Circus at Angel City Brewery, a Reggae Fest at the Queen Mary, and MUCH more.
Friday February 9th, 2018
1. Visit the Skirball Cultural Center this Friday for Open Shabbat, a communal meal, held outdoors, featuring a farm-fresh vegetarian menu. This reimagined version of a Jewish ritual is meant to be a meaningful life practice for all.
2. Celebrate Valentine’s Day early at Cinespia’s special 25th anniversary screening of Poetic Justice at Downtown Los Angeles’ Palace Theater. FREE
3. The 9th Annual Edwardian Ball & World’s Faire returns to the Globe Theater in Los Angeles on Saturday buy the day before that there will be a World’s Faire held. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
4. Greenbar Distillery will open up their facility for a tour of their organic distillery. The tour is one hour long and guests will have a chance to learn about the process of spirit making and taste some of the Greenbar portfolio. NOTE: Guests can get a free distillery tour & tasting with code LAHEART when booking.
5. There’s a one-man, family-friendly adaptation of Charles Dickens Great Expectations at The Wallis in Beverly Hills. Performances will run February 8 through 11. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
6. Head to The Madelin Garden in Pasadena for high tea and a performance of Oscar Wilde’s The Importance of Being Earnest. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
7. The Last Bookstore presents a reading and discussion with Laurie Penny about the Feminist Future. Penny is an award-winning writer, critic, political journalist and author of five non-fiction books. FREE
8. The Pan African Film Festival (PAFF) returns to Los Angeles February 8-19. Now in its 26th year, the 12-day festival will showcase over 100 new films and the talented artists who created them.
9. The Groundlings Theatre presents their latest main stage show, Sweet Valley Groundlingsperforming this Friday. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
Saturday February 10th, 2018
11. See more than 100 pieces from one of America’s most iconic artists when Something Resembling Truth, a new show focusing on the work of Jasper Johns, opens at The Broad in Downtown Los Angeles on February 10.
12. Cupid’s Undie Run returns to The Victorian in Santa Monica for a “brief” run for a great cause. The event starts at the Victorian in Santa Monica, where you party, run roughly a mile, then party some more.
13. Street Food Cinema presents Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining on the big screen at Downtown Palace Theatre. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
14. The One Love Cali Reggae Fest returns to the Queen Mary in Long Beach February 10-11 for an entire weekend of dancing to your favorite reggae music on Los Angeles’ historic cruise ship. See Nas, Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals, Matisyahu, Yellowman and more.
15. L.A.’s only live animated comedy show Picture This! is back with another free show at The Virgil. FREE
16. The 9th Annual Edwardian Ball takes over the Globe Theatre in DTLA for a whimsical celebration of art, live music, riveting theatre, fashion, literature, ballroom dancing, DJs, circus, and the beloved creations of the late, great author and illustrator Edward Gorey. The 2018 season will focus on Gorey’s story The Raging Tide: or, The Black Doll’s Imbroglio. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
17. Positive Vibes a free Silent Disco YOGA taking place at FIGat7th is an all-day outdoor party that inlcludes disco yoga, sound bath sessions, tarot card readings, Dublab music, vegan food and much more. Attendees can also enjoy temporary tattoos, body painting, DJ sets and a live band curated by Dublab, arts and crafts, vegan food and drink options, a beer garden and lounge area by Spaceland. FREE
18. The L.A. Cookie Con & Sweets Show, at the Anaheim Convention Center February 10-11 features baking demos and workshops, celebrity chefs and special guests, five different stages and hundreds of samples all day. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
19. The San Gabriel Lunar New Year Festival taking place in the San Gabriel Mission District will feature a street food fair, a marketplace, carnival games, a chalk art contest, live music, and a kids’ zone.
20. Retro style aficionados can checkout the Vintage Fashion Expo at The Reef in DTLA February 10-11. Shoppers will find clothing, jewelry, and accessories from dozens of dealers. Exhibitors will showcase their vintage couture, period pieces, fine jewelry, and more from the late 18th century through the 20th century.
21. Descanso Gardens invites patrons and newcomers to visit for a day and give back to the community during Community Service Day. FREE
22. Looking for a little free comedy this weekend in NELA? The Frogtown Show is a free monthly comedy show that takes place at Spoke Bicycle Cafe along the L.A. River. Light bites, wine and beer specials will be available for the evening. FREE
Sunday February 11th, 2018
23. FLAX Project presents “The Dialectic of the Stars,” a free art festival taking place at five iconic venues in Los Angeles in the month of February. The festival will feature stimulating arts events incorporating cinema, music, mobile artworks, a concert of motorcycles, dance and more. This Friday the event kicks off at Lloyd Wright’s iconic Sowden House in Los Feliz. FREE
24. Angel City Brewery’s festival for the lovelorn, the Broken Hearts Circus, returns to Downtown Los Angeles for a lively pre-Valentine’s Day bash. Enjoy games from Two Bit Circus, a stilt walker, circus performances from TRIBE, artisan vendors, food and live music. It’s free to attend. FREE
25. Take free dance lessons with Debbie Allen at The Wallis. The famed actress/dancer/choreographer will teach a salsa class this Sunday. FREE
26. Le Salon de Musiques presents a stage free chamber musical experience with champagne and high tea to follow at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion this Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. The Skirball and LA’s oldest literary arts organization, Beyond Baroque will celebrate it’s fiftieth anniversary with an afternoon of readings and discussion focused on the legacy of writer-activist James Baldwin. Alfre Woodard will host the program, which includes remarks by LA poet laureate Robin Coste Lewis and performances of Baldwin’s work by actor Jussie Smollet. FREE
28. The Seventh Annual Chinese New Year Celebration in Beverly Hills taking place at the Saban Theatre will feature the “Charming Jing-Jin-Ji” variety show with live acrobatics, musical performances and more.
29. Friendship Buddies is a weekly stand-up comedy show at the Verdugo Bar in Glassell Park. Come hangout in the back patio, enjoy a cocktail, and LOL to outstanding stand-up comedians in Los Angeles. FREE
Schedule provided by We Like LA.