Have any plans for this Labor Day weekend? If you don’t, take a look at the list below and find something awesome to do during this three-day weekend!
Friday September 1st, 2017
1. There’s an opening reception for Scott Hove’s immersive cake-themed infinity chamber in Chinatown this Friday. The reception is free and guests will get a chance to walkthrough the installation featuring decadent chandelier sculptures and one massive mirrored infinity chamber before it opens to the public for the rest of the month. To gain access to the free reception, the public must RSVP (required) to email@example.com. FREE
2. The Los Angeles Times, The Taste returns to Paramount Studios Sep. 1-3 for five amazing food-centric events with some of L.A.’s best chefs, restaurateurs and mixologists over Labor Day weekend.
3. Vegan Street Fair Nights returns on September 1-2 in North Hollywood at The Federal with local vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants and vendors serving up delicious plant based eats. The party will also feature a laid-back backyard party vibe with a beer garden, live music and over-sized lawn games.
4. One of Los Angeles’ most iconic landmark is now up and running after a four-year closure. Angels Flight, now restored and reconditioned, offers a brief 298-ft ride connecting rider from Hill Street to California Plaza. Billed as the world’s shortest railroad ride, this historic gem will once again be open 365 days a year and the fare will be $1, or just 50 cents with a Metro pass.
5. Academy Award-winning composer John Williams returns to the Hollywood Bowl with the LA Philto perform some of his greatest movie scores while corresponding films play on the big screen.
6. The Music Center’s Dance DTLA series returns this week with Dance Downtown and theme Salsa at Grand Park. FREE
7. The LA County Fair takes over the Fairplex in Pomona from Sep. 1-24 with fair-style foods, live musical performances, carnival-style games, rides, and unique attractions such as an expanded farm section (over five acres) featuring tons of interactive agricultural experiences for guests to enjoy.
8. Since its the first Friday of the month check out all the cool events happening around town including block parties and art walks for First Fridays.
9. The Griffith Observatory hosts a monthly forum where some of the most amazing phenomena in the known universe are explained and discussed. It’s called All Space Considered and it takes place on the first Friday of every month. FREE
10. Metro Art in collaboration with the LA Opera presents a sampling of Georges Bizet’s classic opera “Carmen,” this Friday from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Historic Ticketing Hall of Union Station. Guests will be transported to the south of Spain into one of the world’s most beloved operas “Carmen.” Free and open to the public, the performance will feature flamenco dancers, a Spanish guitarist and arias from the upcoming L.A. production. FREE
11. The folks at Rooftop Cinema Club are back with two screenings. Pulp Fiction at LEVEL in Downtown Los Angeles and The Nice Guys at Montalban in Hollywood.
12. There’s a BeyDay party going down at The Reserve in DTLA to celebrate Beyoncé’s birthday. Expect b-day surprises, dancing and singing all night long. FREE
13. Enjoy some free Shakespeare this summer when the Independent Shakespeare Co. returns for the 8th year in a row with free/donation-based performances at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park. The Two Gentlemen of Verona Wednesday through Sunday.
14. Friday kicks off LA Fleet Week (Sep. 1-4) at the LA Waterfront in San Pedro. Come and marvel at ships and partake in marine activities, many of which are all-ages and have no admission fee.
15. Now in its 53rd year Cinecon Classic Film Festival (Aug 31 – Sep 4) will host five days of special screenings of rare and restored films at the historic Egyptian Theatre.
16. LACMA’s award winning Department of Music Program provides hundreds of free concerts and musical events every year for Angelenos to enjoy. This Friday their jazz series continues at the BP Grand Entrance.
17. 626 Night Market heads to Santa Anita Park from Sep. 1-3 for the largest Asia-themed night market in the United States. It will feature food, merchandise, crafts, arts, games, music, and entertainment.
18. The San Gabriel Mission is hosting La Fiesta de San Gabriel (Sep. 1-3) a free and all-ages street fair with food, live entertainment, arts & crafts, activities, and much more. FREE
Saturday September 2nd, 2017
20. Head to downtown Hermosa Beach for Fiesta Hermosa Sep. 2-4 for one of the largest arts and crafts fairs in Southern California. Hosting over 300 artists, expect live music, a beer & wine garden and a kiddie carnival to entertain all day long. FREE
21. Made in L.A. is coming to Golden Road Brewing this Labor Day Weekend Sep 2-3 with a music and arts festival at their Glendale hangout. The festival is meant to celebrate Los Angeles-based creators and the diverse communities of L.A. through music, art, local charity support and, of course, beer. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
22. Step out in your most stylish attire during Dapper Day at LACMA for a full day of fashion, art, film, music and dancing. Enjoy docent-led tours, watch a screening of 1948 gem The Red Shoes, enjoy a picnic on the lawn or dine at Ray’s & Stark Bar at this popular gathering.
23. KCRW’s 2017 edition of Summer Nights is a free all ages outdoor music series happening throughout the summer. This Saturday they’ll takeover Chinatown with KCRW DJs Travis Holcombe and Raul Campos. FREE
24. The folks at Rooftop Cinema Club are back with two screenings at their rooftop locations. Reservoir Dogs at LEVEL in Downtown Los Angeles and Saturday Night Fever at Montalban in Hollywood.
25. WET, a vibrant EDM dance party aboard the Queen Mary featuring some of the best DJs goes down this Labor Day weekend. Prepare to dance your heart out to sets from Viceroy, EC Twins, TWRK, Michael Sparks, LZRD and more.
26. There’s an opening reception for art duo kozyndan titled The Golden State at Gregorio Escalante Gallery in Chinatown. Guests will have a chance to view new work and installations that pay homage to the culture of California. FREE
28. 68th Annual Long Beach Greek Festival is back this Labor Day weekend (Sep 2-3) with authentic Greek food, music and lots of dancing. FREE
29. The 6th Annual Power Fest is returning to South Los Angeles on Saturday for a day of celebration, education, and empowerment. This free annual music festival aims to empower citizens, by focusing on education on the upcoming election and promote voting on important local and state ballot initiatives. FREE
30. Street Food Cinema this Saturday features two screenings on Saturday: Dirty Dancing at at Will Rogers State Historic Park Pacific Palisades and JAWS at Victory Park Pasadena. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Sunday September 3rd, 2017
31. Broad Fest comes to The Broad Stage in Santa Monica this Sunday for an afternoon of music, food and interactive entertainment. Enjoy a variety of musical performances, talks from Santa Monica College and Heal The Bay and even learn to tango, hula hoop, and participate in some arts and crafts – the possibilities are endless. FREE
32. Delicious Pizza will host their first West Adams Block Party with a free party featuring performances by Talib Kweli, Doug E. Fresh and more. Naturally the day will involve lots of delicious including their pizza, Nutella cheesecake and eggplant parm sandwich. Detroit-based donut shop Dilla’s Delights will also pop-up with their awesome donuts and their will be fun for kids, too, including games, face painting and the magnificent West Adams castle jumper. FREE
33. Oceanfront beauty the Marina del Rey Hotel will host an End of Summer Luau this Sunday with DJs, a special traditional pig roast, fresh poke and more Hawaiian-inspired eats plus drink specials, a rotating draft beer selection, spiked punch and signature cocktails. The party is 21+ with no cover charge!
34. It’s the last day of Smorgasburg LA’s Ice Cream Alley this Sunday. Head over on over and get your hands on the best ice cream creations from beloved LA vendors like Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams, Nancy Silverton’s Nancy’s Fancy Gelato, Salt and Straw, Wanderlust Creamery and more. Specials on the last day include Coolhaus offering their infamous ice cream sandwiches, Blast’s liquid nitrogen ice cream and Sweet n Hollow’s ice cream stuffed Chimney Cakes.
35. Run + Yoga + Beer takes you on a run through various landmarks in historic DTLA followed by a one hour yoga session and a cold beer at the end.
36. The Great Rock and Roll Flea Market will take over The Regent Theater in DTLA with an impressive selection of vintage collectors, antiquities dealers, vintage clothing, jewelry makers, music memorabilia, vinyl, local food vendors, food trucks, craftsmen and used musical instruments dealers. This one of a kind flea market is free to attend and open to all ages. FREE
37. The historic Alex Theatre in Glendale will be celebrating its 92nd birthday with a free all ages community event that includes music, specialty cocktails, food, raffles, and tours of the theatre. Although admission is free, donations are welcome to help preserve the Theatre. FREE
38. Spend Sunday on a three-level party cruise aboard the Catalina King from mid-afternoon until sunset celebrating Labor Weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
39. Friendship Buddies is a weekly stand-up comedy show at the Verdugo Bar in Glassell Park. Come hangout in the back patio, enjoy a cocktail, and LOL to outstanding stand-up comedians in Los Angeles. FREE
Monday September 4th, 2017
40. Cheer on the Dodgers as they go up against the Arizona Diamondbacks. Spend an evening at the iconic Dodger Stadium and dine on the newly revamped menu as you watch the boys in blue. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
41. Send off summer poolside at Skybar Mondrian with sounds from Them Jeans, DJ Zo, Bella Fiasco, Sasha Marie (Soulection) and Suga Shay. There will be flowing drinks, pool floaties galore, beautiful views and Hip-Hop and R&B music all day long.
42. Dive into the pool at Viceroy in Santa Monica as they host a Labor Day pool party. The party will have a DJ, cocktails, beachballs and more.
43. California Sol at the Ace Upstairs in DTLA celebrates Labor Day with a special edition of the their weekly party featuring guest DJ’s and more. Swimsuits are strongly encouraged, party is free and open to the public 21+. FREE
44. Movies on the El Cid Patio presents a screening of Dumb and Dumber.
45. Arts District Brewing Co. is celebrating Labor Day with their very first Pig Roast. The brewery will open at noon and lunch will be served by 3 p.m. They’ll also be releasing a new Hefeweizen. No admission fee!
Schedule courtesy of We Like LA.