Filing your taxes can be…taxing. Whether you opt for the DIY way online or a quick trip to HR Block, there’s no shortage of options. Make sure you prepared for Tax day by reading below for your go to resources straight from the IRS. We can’t say we wish everyday was Tax Day but we certainly are counting down until refund season!
Discover your Tax guide below!
Find a Tax Professional
Tax professionals have varying levels of skills, education and expertise. And, not all tax professionals have the right to represent taxpayers before the IRS, such as during an audit. You should know the credentials, qualifications and extent of service each prospective professional provides before obtaining their service.
- Free Tax Return Preparation: Find out if you are eligible to get free help preparing your tax return from Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs listed here.
- Free Help To Resolve Tax Disputes (not tax return preparation): Find out if you are eligible to get free help resolving tax disputes with the IRS from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC).
Paid Preparers and e-File Providers
- Directory of Federal Tax Return Preparers: Find a paid tax return preparer based on location, credentials, and other select qualifications.
- Choosing a Paid Tax Professional: This page provides tips to help you choose a paid tax professional that’s right for you.
- Types of Paid Tax Professional: This page explains the different categories of paid tax professionals to help you understand which paid tax professional is right for you.
- Tax Professional Associations: This page provides links to non-profit professional associations to help you find a paid tax professional.
- Authorized e-File Providers: Find an Authorized e-File Provider near you who may be able to help you e-file, as well as prepare, your tax return.
Prepare Your Own Return
Electronic filing is the easiest way to file a complete and accurate tax return. You can use Free File or commercial tax prep software and file your taxes electronically. You can pay electronically, too.
- Free File: Find out if you are eligible for free file software or if you can file your return using free fillable forms.
- Pay Electronically: Find options to pay your taxes electronically.
- E-file Option: This page explains your options for e-filing, including commercial software.
Courtesy of IRS.Gov